[CentOS] Centos 7 shim fix failed

Wed Aug 5 09:40:48 UTC 2020
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

On 8/4/2020 11:20 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> Running transaction
>>    Installing : kernel-3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64 1/1
>>
>> at which point the process appeared to hang.  No further output happened for
>> five minutes.  I opened a different terminal and entered "shutdown -r now".
>> The result is an unbootable system.
>>

>> What did I do wrong?  I must admit that there are multiple copies of advice
>> on the mailing list, so perhaps I followed the wrong one?
> Your system was most likely rebuilding the initrd, and you interrupted
> it leaving you with a broken initrd.

Is there some way we could get the initrd rebuild to be more verbose, so
that it doesn't appear to hang? It would be nice to get feedback that
something is happening, especially on an older, slower system that takes
a long time for this step.

I run into the same problem with the kernel-devel package, just because
of the sheer number of files involved. I've learned to be patient and
expect a kernel upgrade on my oldest system to take a very long time. (I
need the -devel package to rebuild an ancient 3rd party driver no longer
provided by RHEL.)