[CentOS] Boot failed on latest CentOS 7 update

Sat Aug 1 22:57:02 UTC 2020
Laack, Andrea P <Andrea.Laack at BSWHealth.org>

" UEFI-related updates have had a history of making devices unusable, and vendors will need to be very cautious."

https://eclypsium.com/2020/07/29/theres-a-hole-in-the-boot/

The fix for this vulnerability is complex and the fix will have different results on different machines.  The volunteers that support CentOS do the very best they can to test patches, but they can't possibly test for everything.
If people have problems with the way patches are tested, maybe they should step up to the plate and become part of the solution.

We should be offering our thanks to those who donate their time and energy to supporting the CentOS project.

Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS <centos-bounces at centos.org> On Behalf Of Mike McCarthy, W1NR
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:42 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: {EXTERNAL} Re: [CentOS] Boot failed on latest CentOS 7 update

CAUTION:  This email originated outside of BSWH; avoid action unless you know the content is safe. Send suspicious emails as attachments to BadEmail at BSWHealth.org.

It appears that it is affecting multiple distributions including Debian and Ubuntu so it looks like the grub2 team messed up. See

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.zdnet.com/article/boothole-fixes-causing-boot-problems-across-multiple-linux-distros/__;!!JA_k2roV-A!Qbogq3YCBtqgCyV83UWwK0fOy32CkVABRN-pzz0HoElpMB_0b7TaqLKl4zP1mQ_QRA$

Mike