[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sun Aug 2 14:57:49 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 10:20, david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> ><snip>

> > > I just did
> > > yum clean all
> > > yum update
> > >
> > > and 15-8 showed up.  Maybe the 'clean all'
> > did it, or maybe just showed up.
> > >
> > > I applied the update (yum update), rebooted and...
> > > no boot.  Just a blank screen.
> > >
> > > Hardware is a Mac-Mini :-(
> > >
> > > This is not an essential machine, so I could re-install (from
> > > netinstall) if you think it's worth the effort.
> > >
> > > Or what?
> > >
> > > David
> >
> >You just need to reinstall the kernel and it should work.
> >

> Sorry for being so ignorant, but I don't
> understand "just reinstall the kernel".  I don't
> know how to translate that into a specific yum or rpm command.

I agree  it is a lot of shorthand because of expectations. In the end
we (the list) don't know what you have on your system or what state it
is in. In order to get that information to help we would need you to
try the following:

1. boot using a working USB/cdrom/netboot path and installer
2. choose the rescue mode
3. have the rescue mount the disks as local and chroot into the
system. << if possible have the system also bring up networking >>

Then
yum list kernel shim grub2 mokutil

It would also help to know which kind of Mac Mini it is (year, model,
firmware versions). Apple changes the internal hardware of these
things and how they boot so if there it may be that a particular model
is more affected than others.