[CentOS] Boot failed on latest CentOS 7 update

Sun Aug 2 16:54:46 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 12:08, Alessandro Baggi
<alessandro.baggi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Johnny,
> thank you for your answer. I always accepted release cycle of CentOS
> without any problem (maybe with EL8 but it is ok).
>
> I don't need SLA and I don't blame anyone for this, errors can occour. For
> example in this story, I applied blindly updates without check what and how
> so really I ran the command that brake my installation...and as I said no
> problem for this.
>
> You said:" We TRY to
> validate all fixes, but if something is broken in the source code, it
> will likely be borken in CentOS Linux as well". This means that if a rhel
> package break something, the centos team releases it with the bug anyway
> also if the bug is already known? The update cannot be delayed until the
> correct version is released if the package bug is already known? Is it not
> possible by policy or other? Validate is equal to "test if nothing get
> breakage"?

For CentOS-4, CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, the motto was "Bug for bug
compatible with RHEL." If things failed for RHEL, they would fail in
the same way for CentOS as much as possible. Many users of CentOS were
exceedingly proud of it and expected it to be the case for when they
needed justifications and such. The problem is that no one likes it
when a major problem comes out from RHEL. THis happens probably once
every 3 to 5 years and then everyone starts wanting to know why CentOS
doesn't ship things when people find something wrong. People usually
get motivated and start testing things more.. but after about 6 months
of no other problems.. can justify that bugs aren't common so why do
it.

On a side note, you keep emphasizing you aren't expecting an SLA.. but
all your questions are what someone asks to have in a defined SLA. I
have done the same thing in the past when things have gone badly, but
couching it in 'I am not asking' just makes the people being asked
grumpy. Better to be open and say 'Look I would like to know what my
expectations should be for CentOS' and be done with it.