[CentOS] Centos 7 shim fix failed

Tue Aug 4 20:44:05 UTC 2020
david <david at daku.org>

<snip>

>Your system was most likely rebuilding the initrd, and you interrupted
>it leaving you with a broken initrd.
>
>Try booting off a rescue disk and chroot into the install, and run:
>
>dracut -f -v
>
>to regenerate all the initrds.
>
>Also, you don't need to reinstall the kernel but just do a 'yum
>update' to get everything up to the latest release.  The shim package
>with the fix is the latest.
>
>--
>Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>
>___

Jonathan et al:

On the assumption that all the updates should now "just work", I did
a from-scratch reinstall of a minimal Centos 7 system starting from
netinstall and added software that I've always added (perl, dhcp,
mariadb, etc).  I did not exclude shim, etc in
"/etc/yum.conf".  After all the updates, the system was NOT bootable.

I repeated the install and updates, but this time including the line
in /etc/yum.conf
   exclude=grub2* shim* mokutil
and ended up with a usable system.

This was not the result I was hoping for.

David