[CentOS] Centos 7 shim fix failed

Tue Aug 4 18:20:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 10:54:50AM -0700, david wrote:
> Yum got up to the point:
>
> Running transaction
>   Installing : kernel-3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64 1/1
>
> at which point the process appeared to hang.  No further output happened for
> five minutes.  I opened a different terminal and entered "shutdown -r now".
> The result is an unbootable system.
>

> What did I do wrong?  I must admit that there are multiple copies of advice
> on the mailing list, so perhaps I followed the wrong one?

Your system was most likely rebuilding the initrd, and you interrupted
it leaving you with a broken initrd.

Try booting off a rescue disk and chroot into the install, and run:

dracut -f -v

to regenerate all the initrds.

Also, you don't need to reinstall the kernel but just do a 'yum
update' to get everything up to the latest release.  The shim package
with the fix is the latest.