[CentOS] Fixing grub/shim issue Centos 7

Fri Aug 7 07:40:01 UTC 2020
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Il 07/08/20 08:22, Johnny Hughes ha scritto:
>> "How on earth could this have passed Q & A ?"

Hi Johnny,
Niki's question is spread, legit, in the thoughts in many and many users
so don't see this as an attack. Many and many users,though really "if
this was tested before release" and I think that many of us are
incredulous at what happened on CentOS and in the upstream (specially in
the upstream) but as you said CentOS inherits RHEL bugs. I'm reading
about many users that lost their trust in RH with the last 2 problem
(microcode and shim). This is bad for CentOS.

> Well, I mean that would be a valid point if it happened for every
> install.  The issue did not happen on every install.  There is no way to
> test every single hardware and firmware combination for every single
> computer ever built :)
>
> It would be great if things like this did not happen, but with the
> universe of possible combinations, i am surprised it does not happen
> more often.

Probably many users have not updated their machines between the bug
release and the resolution (thanks to your fast apply in the weekend,
thank you) and many update their centos machines on a 2 months base (if
not worst). I think also that many users of CentOS user base have not
proclamed their disappointement/the issue on this list or in other
channels. For example I simply updated in the wrong time.

> We do run boot tests of every single kernel for CentOS.  The RHEL team
> runs many more tests for RHEL.  But every possible combination from
> every vendor can't possibly be tested. Right?

you are right but is not UEFI a standard and it shouldn't work the same
on several vendors? I ask this because this patch broken all my uefi
workstations.

While CentOS team could not have so much resources to run this type of
tests would be great to know what happened to RHEL QA (being RH giant)
for this release and given the partenership between CentOS and RH if you
know something more on this.....

Thank you.