[CentOS] systemd syslog.target

Tue Aug 11 08:55:06 UTC 2020
Lange, Markus <M.Lange at dnb.de>

Hi,

if I get it correctly [1] it is not recommended to use After=syslog but
it's not forbidden. But as the syslog.service should not be enabled it
is not running anyway. As the man page states:

"If a unit foo.service contains a setting Before=bar.service and both
units are being started, bar.service's start-up is delayed until
foo.service is started up. Note that this setting is independent of and
orthogonal to the requirement dependencies as configured by Requires="
[2]

it should have no effect including this after even if it's not
necessary.

I Would recommend not including the After as it's somehow deprecated
since systemd v38 (January 2012!).

The only effect you may observe is that if syslog.service is started
through socket activation your service might be delayed starting up
resulting in an non-optimal startup time. However, this might take some
ms barely anyone would notice that.

best regards
Markus

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/syslog/