[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 16 15:50:24 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 9:59 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 7:41 PM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> $250K is not even close.  That is one employee, when you also take into
>> account unemployment insurance, HR, medical insurance etc.  now multiply
>> that by 8.  Now, outfit those 8 employees to work from home .. all over
>> the world, different countries, different laws.
>
> I'm genuinely curious about something, and this is mostly academic
> since it's probably the subject of proprietary discussions within
> RedHat.  Presumably, RedHat had a build pipeline for RHEL that worked
> well for them, by supplying alpha/beta releases of point releases to
> their customers and giving them time to "cook" before releasing those
> point releases into production.  Why would RedHat invest millions more
> in buying the CentOS process just to have CentOS act as the beta?

Why did they change the development process of RHEL ..

Because they want to do the development in the community.  The current
process of RHEL development is closed .. they want it to be open.  It is
that simple.

I think Stream is also very usable as a distro.  I think it will be just
as usable as CentOS Linux is now.

It is not a beta .. I keep saying that.  Before a .0 release (the main,
or first, main reelase) is a beta.  Point releases do not really need
betas .. certainly not open to anyone other than customers.  Now CentOS
Stream is available all the time to everyone, customer or not.  Once the
full infrastructure is in place, everyone (not just RHEL customers) can
provide feed back and bugs, do pull requests, etc.

All users can also interact with all interim versions of packages, not
just the items that get released.  You can also see what is coming at
any time if you are a RHEL customer.

If you are building things for RHEL .. you can build against what will
be the RHEL + 0.1 source code.  You (as the developer) can also make
that open to public / community.  Developers can also do SIGs in CentOS
Stream.