[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 16 18:28:07 UTC 2020

On 12/16/20 10:50 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Why did they change the development process of RHEL .. Because they
> want to do the development in the community. The current process of
> RHEL development is closed .. they want it to be open. It is that simple.
Johnny, let me say first of all thanks for these years of hard work.  I
for one am grateful for your continued and dogged pursuit of what must
be a mostly thankless task.  Thanks for the explanations from your point
of view of this transition, too.

Having said that, I believe that in terms of RHEL development and
transparency that CentOS Stream will be a very big win.  With working
resolutions to the 'unsupported by Red Hat but not third-party
out-of-tree driver kABI breaks frequently' and 'third-party out-of-tree
hardware driver kABI breaks frequently' issues I'm sure it can be a very
usable system for what I need CentOS for.  And it will be very nice to
be able to have actual feedback that might actually make a difference in
the development of each next point release.  That will work nicely for
my main daily driver laptop.  Maybe or maybe not for my servers; that
has yet to be seen.

But as I posted in my reply to Mike McGrath, Red Hat's reneging on the
September 24, 2019 statement that "nothing changes" for CentOS,
especially CentOS 8, still smarts.  A lot.  (I know it must be worse for
you and the other devs.)