[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Tue Dec 15 17:20:37 UTC 2020
R C <cjvijf at gmail.com>

On 12/15/20 10:06 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 01:48:21AM -0700, R C wrote:
>> I think that Centos, being that close to RHEL, should have had a
>> licensing scheme for personal use, small business use, just to make
>> things 'fair'.
> So, again, please stay tuned. Not for licensing schemes for CentOS, but for
> programs for these use cases for RHEL. See https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q10
> and please really do mail centos-questions at redhat.com with your use cases.
> This is answered by humans designing these programs, not by sales.

Oh I know, there are already programs like that. For example, want to
learn how to play with Kubernetes, sure, here get a free full trial
licence for RHEL to do that (but you can only get one.). Use cases; I
think a lot of people using Centos do it, because they can easily/free
build a server/workstation pretty much the same as at work, the only
difference being the background being blue instead of red.

Sure, redhat might help these  "use cases" out, but that means you are
accepting a gift from a company that has an interest in selling to your
employer, and most employers will definitely not allow that and
terminate those who do.

 From what I understand, RHEL and Centos go different ways so a lot of
"the community" will start looking for alternatives, and will find them.
We'll see how it goes.

(the order of magnitude in increase of email on these lists, might be an
indication about the quality of that idea.)