[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Sat Dec 19 01:39:35 UTC 2020
Konstantin Boyandin <lists at boyandin.info>

On 19.12.2020 01:14, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> Has Chris Wright ever recommended CentOS for any purpose other than
>>> development and testing?
>> Will a Red Hat CTO, in his right mind, ever recommend a free clone of
>> RHEL for any purpose other than  development and testing?
>
> Right... he's not "lying", he just has a different audience.

An audience from another reality, I assume.

Which makes me curious, why Chris Wright doesn't say a word on the
subject after the announce of CentOS imminent shutdown? I would admire
to read his words of "now that we decided to shut down CentOS Linux..."

> Red Hat has definitely never ever said in any official way that CentOS
 Linux
> is acceptable for production uses. And that's not going to change with
> CentOS Stream.

(sigh) CentOS was and still is used successfully on production servers
all over the globe. Those are facts. Whatever Red Hat thinks or advises
doesn't change the facts. They would never recommended a *free* clone of
RHEL for production use, even if it would be 100 times more  stable.

> You should see people's heads spin around like a scene from a horror movie
> when I suggest that people actually do run Fedora operating systems in
> production!

I was using Fedora on production servers, so what?

Finally, I choose to use on production something that requires less
attention on yearly basis. So Fedora moved on to development systems,
and CentOS/other distributions with long support are now on production ones.

If people are happy with Fedora on production, that's strange to me, but
why I should object?

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)