[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Fri Dec 18 19:05:32 UTC 2020

>>> Has Chris Wright ever recommended CentOS for any purpose other than
>>> development and testing?
>> Will a Red Hat CTO, in his right mind, ever recommend a free clone of
>> RHEL for any purpose other than  development and testing?
>
> Right... he's not "lying", he just has a different audience.
>
> Red Hat has definitely never ever said in any official way that CentOS Linux
> is acceptable for production uses.

OT: when will I learn to just shut up after arriving at my own decision? (rhetoric question)

It doesn’t matter whether RedHat said anything or not. We did use CentOS as “binary replica” of RedHat Enterprise (I for one for over decade and a half), and did have same level of stability as RedHat Enterprise customers had [almost?].Which confirmed the second word in the abbreviated name of the system (Community Enterprise OS).

But now there is nothing [in my book] to justify that “Enterprise" word in the name.

> And that's not going to change with
> CentOS Stream.
>
> You should see people's heads spin around like a scene from a horror movie
> when I suggest that people actually do run Fedora operating systems in
> production!

Indeed, that is why many of us who originally switched to Fedora (Hm, when free RedHat ceased to exist somewhere near RedHat 8, do people still remember these CD/DVD sets?). And shortly after, from Fedora to CentOS.

And no, “development” precursor of RedHat Enterprise which Fedora was is no match to “binary replica” of  RedHat Enterprise. And it looks - for not too insightful person: myself - that now it will be CentOS a “development” precursor of RedHat Enterprise (taking place of Fedora, and potentially same production usability as Fedora has). And again, I will be happy for everyone who bravely keeps using CentOS (Stream) in production if my feelings are gravely wrong. But I myself “chickened out”. Servers: over 6 years ago (to FreeBSD, and there no surprises with FreeBSD; but apologies for annoying mentioning of the great UNIX successor on this list).

And once again, Thanks a lot for great work, CentOS team! We were enjoying excellent fruits of your work,  I - for about decade and a half. And good luck to you in future, I know your work will be same great, it is just humble us who are unhappy about future arrangement.

Valeri