[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Sat Dec 19 01:48:02 UTC 2020
Konstantin Boyandin <lists at boyandin.info>

On 19.12.2020 01:46, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
> Am 18.12.20 um 19:14 schrieb Matthew Miller:
>>> Will a Red Hat CTO, in his right mind, ever recommend a free clone of
>>> RHEL for any purpose other than  development and testing?
>>
>> Right... he's not "lying", he just has a different audience.
>>
>> Red Hat has definitely never ever said in any official way that CentOS
>> Linux
>> is acceptable for production uses. And that's not going to change with
>> CentOS Stream.
>>
>> You should see people's heads spin around like a scene from a horror
>> movie
>> when I suggest that people actually do run Fedora operating systems in
>> production!
>

> In the different threads here in the list - I noticed that everyone
> (not all in quantity) has a different definition of production and
> development "classification". For instance RH: Their devel license
> talks about not to use it for production. I am still unsure where
> the border for that are? Running a workstation and "producing" output
> that have value for me is a production system. As also a fly radar
> HA cluster running 24/7 is a production system. Anyway, lets see
> what Q1 2021 will bring ...

A good point. I would say that production server is the one used by
users of a service - the server which is expected to be stable, reliable
and predictable.

So yes, the workstation I use in my everyday tasks is a production
system for me.

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)