[CentOS] NetworkManager on servers

Tue Feb 11 13:27:05 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 08:17:18AM -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>       I thought that systemd was under redhat, so I am confused why
> they would not be pushing it instead of networkmanager. Am I missing
> something?

systemd has several Red Hat employees working on systemd, I believe,
but it's not a solely Red Hat product.  And according to their
documentation and tickets opened about systemd-networkd, they're
focusing on a single network infrastructure, NetworkManager.

It was available as part of the optional channel in RHEL7 but I guess
it caused too much confusion in the market or something.  It's still
kinda new and I guess having that much churn in your network
infrastructure is too much for a enterprise-level OS (given that
they'd have to backport fixes rather than bump the systemd version).