[CentOS] NetworkManager on servers

Tue Feb 11 15:27:57 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 08:17, Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 8:12 AM Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 06:11:04AM +0100, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, instead of fixing/refactoring the whole bash networking
> > > script mess, another new project was started instead, called
> > > systemd-networkd :-)
> >
> > Actually, I'm sad that RHEL/CentOS 8 doesn't support
> > systemd-networkd.  It's really nice, especially for really pared down
> > systems that don't need a lot of extra services like NetworkManager.
> > But I understand that Red Hat needs to focus its support efforts.
> >
>       I thought that systemd was under redhat, so I am confused why
> they would not be pushing it instead of networkmanager. Am I missing
> something?

So there are two items of complexity which people have a hard time
understanding (both inside and outside of Red Hat).

1. Red Hat is a company of 14,000 people many of which have diverging views
on how things should be run and why. This means that you may see 4-5
different tools to fix a problem all of which solve the part that they were
originally developed for but not for everyone (mainly because the tool that
is  solving it for everyone is still not out of design yet.)

2. systemd is maintained by multiple companies with divergent interests in
how and where to solve things. It is also not a monolithic tool but a
'hurd' of services which all do some vital plumbing. Some of that plumbing
works for some things but not all things any more than you put the same
pipe under your kitchen sink as your bathroom as the industrial cleaner..
[well you can but it will blow up somewhere.]

This leads to a lot of 'but I thought Red Hat was doing X' which is true
but 'Red Hat is also doing Y' or Z and the same for systemd and related
groups. Any time you have more than 4 of anything you will start getting
factorial number of solutions. (4 sysadmins, 4 developers, 4 managers etc..
at 5 you end up with 120 different solutions for some reason.)