[CentOS] Using shared printers in CentOS 8

Tue Jan 7 05:06:13 UTC 2020
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 1/6/20 10:00 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 1/6/20 7:52 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
>> Am 06.01.20 um 22:44 schrieb Robert Nichols:
>>> How do I let a CentOS 8 client make use of the shared printers advertised by CUPS on the network? In CentOS 6, this was just a matter in a checkbox "Show printers shared by other systems" on the CUPS Admin page. Is this function still available somehow? Manually adding all the shared printers on every client would be painful.
>>>

>> I used:
>>
>> http://localhost:631/
>
> Yes, that's how I'm getting to the CUPS Admin page, which is lacking the option to use printers that the print server is sharing.
>
>> Is the print server running CentOS6?
>
> Yes, and other systems make use of its shared printers just fine. It's the CentOS 8 CUPS client that doesn't offer to use shared printers.  Does CUPS 2.x perhaps have some hidden setting to operate as a client vs. as a server?  I've never had to configure that before.

OK, I've found a workaround of not bothering with cupsd service locally and just putting a ServerName in /etc/cups/client.conf . That means there is no local spool to accept jobs if the print server or network is down temporarily, but for my use that's acceptable. End of story.

                 Do NOT delete it.