[CentOS] Using shared printers in CentOS 8

Tue Jan 7 17:02:24 UTC 2020
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 07.01.20 um 06:06 schrieb Robert Nichols:
> On 1/6/20 10:00 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>>>>

>>> I used:
>>>
>>> http://localhost:631/
>>
>> Yes, that's how I'm getting to the CUPS Admin page, which is lacking
>> the option to use printers that the print server is sharing.
>>
>>> Is the print server running CentOS6?
>>
>> Yes, and other systems make use of its shared printers just fine. It's
>> the CentOS 8 CUPS client that doesn't offer to use shared printers.
>> Does CUPS 2.x perhaps have some hidden setting to operate as a client
>> vs. as a server?  I've never had to configure that before.
>
> OK, I've found a workaround of not bothering with cupsd service locally
> and just putting a ServerName in /etc/cups/client.conf . That means
> there is no local spool to accept jobs if the print server or network is
> down temporarily, but for my use that's acceptable. End of story.

I didn't spent to much time on this but it was necessary to infer the
printer name on the remote site (well i know it but a ordinary user
would not).

So to compile the URI check first the remote site via browser:

My spool name is HP_LaserJet (serverside), substitute it.

http://yourprintserver:631/printers/HP_LaserJet

If you get a printer page then your URI for the client is:

ipp://yourprintserver/printers/HP_LaserJet?version=1.1&encryption=never

this can be used to configure a local "raw" spool on the client via
localhost:631 UI ... the key-values version and encryption are necessary
because CentOS6 cupsd is quite "old".

--
Leon