[CentOS] After upgrade to CentOS 8.1 default gateway missing

Sat Jan 18 07:02:45 UTC 2020
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 14:39:19 +0100, Simon Matter via CentOS
> <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> Anything in the logs about what was going on? If you reboot this server
>> again and again, does the problem show up again?
>
> This is shared hosting servers that is in production with customers live
> sites. So I don't want to reboot again if not absolutely needed. I guess I
> will find out if the problem continues the next time there is a new
> kernel. I would like to avoid doing reboots before a new kernel is
> released.
>
> I have not had time to go over the logs yet.
>
> I was hoping that somone else experienced the same, but it does not seems
> so. I can't believe I would be the only one in the world this would happen
> to, and also that it happened on both my CentOS 8 servers.

Such things happened to me in the past as well and I couldn't believe I'm
the only one. But, you have to consider certain things:

1) CentOS 8 is very new and I don't think it has already widely reached
the production world. I usually don't do this before .2 comes out and I
feel I'm not alone with this rule. At least it has served me well in the
last decade or two.

2) The number of production servers running two different IPv4 networks on
two adapters, as you do, may be quite small compared to the big number of
simple settings.

3) A lot of serious production servers are still using good old init
scripts to handle network settings and interfaces. Now that we're almost
forced to move to the more modern approach with NetworkManager and
systemd, new issues will slowly appear and get fixed step by step.

Regards,
Simon