[CentOS] complex migration

Fri Jul 10 15:02:37 UTC 2020
Christopher Wensink <cwensink at five-star-plastics.com>

Hello Everyone,

I need to do a complex migration of either a guest VM as a whole or as
individual files with a dump and load of a progress database-based ERP
system.

The old host is an Amd Opteron 8 Core 16 GB ram single Socket CPU with a
RAID 10 array of 8x 500 GB SATA Disks.  It is running Centos 6.10 as a
base OS using OpenVZ as the VM technology.  Kernel version is
2.6.32-042stab142.1 x86_64

The VM "bowser" is running CentOS 6.8, it's allocated all 8 Cores, 4 GB
of ram, and 120 GB of thick provisioned space.  This VM is running
kernel 2.6.32-042stab142.1 i686/i386 - 32 bit OS.

The new host has Dual Xeon Silver CPU's 256 GB ram, and a RAID 6 setup
w/ 13.96 TB of total available storage of SSD drives.

I've followed the instructions here:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/1719787#1719787

and here:
http://gurutek.biz/migrating-from-proxmoxopenvz-to-esxesxivmware-server-part-1/

I am at the point where I have a .vmdk file created, and I've imported
the machine into vmware, but the machine is not booting.  The bios
vmware simply says no operating system found.  I can boot from a rescue
disk, then mount the old hard drive, and I can see files  from the old
VM.  I was able to chroot into the filesystem of the old system, and I
was able to get the network card communicating and online.

After chrooting into the base of the old filesystem, when I try to use
yum to install a kernel and run yum updates, I have an issue where the
system is trying to install the i686 and x86_64 versions of RPM's that
conflict with each other , and they don't work because of cross
dependencies.

librt.so.1 is needed by (installed) libdrm-2.4.65-2.el6.i686,
and many packages repeat for
librt.so.1, libutil.so.1, libgmp.so.3, libgmpxx.so.4, liblber-2.4.so.2,
libacl.so.1

I've tried the suggestion of running rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest, which
completes but does not fix the files.

Has anyone run into this i686 / x86_64 dual package conflicting issue
before?  Any suggestions?

Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator
Five Star Plastics, Inc