[CentOS] complex migration

Fri Jul 10 15:40:08 UTC 2020
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM Christopher Wensink
<cwensink at five-star-plastics.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I need to do a complex migration of either a guest VM as a whole or as
> individual files with a dump and load of a progress database-based ERP
> system.
>
> The old host is an Amd Opteron 8 Core 16 GB ram single Socket CPU with a
> RAID 10 array of 8x 500 GB SATA Disks.  It is running Centos 6.10 as a
> base OS using OpenVZ as the VM technology.  Kernel version is
> 2.6.32-042stab142.1 x86_64
>
> The VM "bowser" is running CentOS 6.8, it's allocated all 8 Cores, 4 GB
> of ram, and 120 GB of thick provisioned space.  This VM is running
> kernel 2.6.32-042stab142.1 i686/i386 - 32 bit OS.
>
> The new host has Dual Xeon Silver CPU's 256 GB ram, and a RAID 6 setup
> w/ 13.96 TB of total available storage of SSD drives.
>
> I've followed the instructions here:
>
> https://communities.vmware.com/message/1719787#1719787
>
> and here:
> http://gurutek.biz/migrating-from-proxmoxopenvz-to-esxesxivmware-server-part-1/
>
> I am at the point where I have a .vmdk file created, and I've imported
> the machine into vmware, but the machine is not booting.  The bios
> vmware simply says no operating system found.  I can boot from a rescue
> disk, then mount the old hard drive, and I can see files  from the old
> VM.  I was able to chroot into the filesystem of the old system, and I
> was able to get the network card communicating and online.
>
> After chrooting into the base of the old filesystem, when I try to use
> yum to install a kernel and run yum updates, I have an issue where the
> system is trying to install the i686 and x86_64 versions of RPM's that
> conflict with each other , and they don't work because of cross
> dependencies.
>
> librt.so.1 is needed by (installed) libdrm-2.4.65-2.el6.i686,
> and many packages repeat for
> librt.so.1, libutil.so.1, libgmp.so.3, libgmpxx.so.4, liblber-2.4.so.2,
> libacl.so.1
>
> I've tried the suggestion of running rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest, which
> completes but does not fix the files.
>
> Has anyone run into this i686 / x86_64 dual package conflicting issue
> before?  Any suggestions?

      Correct me if I am wrong but you moved this bowser vm from
openvz to vmware. If so, how about if you start by going to the vmware
console and checking the configuration for bowser? Maybe it by default
set it to be a 64bit CPU instead of 32bit.

Once you have that, if your problems are still happening I would
suggest checking if bowser knows which boot partition it should use.