[CentOS] Borgbackup question

Sun Mar 1 19:18:53 UTC 2020
Tobias Kirchhofer <collect at shift.agency>

On 1 Mar 2020, at 20:00, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> On 3/1/20 12:40 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> borgbackup is a very interesting backup tool with a lot of features.
>> It is ready for "production" or I should expect some bad surprise?
>

> I don't know the answer to that, but to me that implies two questions:
> 1) Are there failure conditions that it doesn't handle, especially
> with an interrupted backup, and 2) Does it perform poorly under any
> specific circumstances.  If anyone has experience with those
> questions, or is familiar enough with the implementation to explain
> why those should not be an issue, I'd be interested in their input as
> well.
>
> I use borgbackup for several laptops backing up to a local file server
> with sshfs, and that's been good so far.

We have around 50 linux clients with borg backups to two different
backup server, provisioned with Ansible. A new host is in the backup in
around 30 seconds :) One backup server is internal for DMZ and LAN and
one is for external hosts. The internal backup server syncs its backup
to the external server. Storage is made with ZFS summed up to 16 TB each
server.

This runs nicely for around two years without interruption. We learned a
bit her e and there about some side effects with borg cache in the
beginning and invested some time in hardening and Ansible role.

Before we choosed borg restic was on the list. Looks good too. Do not
now anymore why we decided for borg. Maybe the name :)

We startet here
https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/deployment/central-backup-server.html

Tobias

collect at shift.agency