[CentOS] Can't move to Centos 8

Thu May 14 01:30:14 UTC 2020
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:37 PM david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> > >I can't be specific since you didn't say how you're using the
> > >Mini. You don't even say if the Mini is PPC, i386, or x86_64.

> > >My guess is that RH will focus on the server market.

> > >2a) Stay on C7 until EOL (in 4 years).  Then re-evaluate your hardware
> > >needs and availablilty.

> > >Beware.  This might end up being very fragile.
> > >
> > >5) Switch to Fedora which has better hardware support and more software.
> > >
> > >Jim
> > >___________
> >

> > Jim
> > Sorry that I omitted those details, so...
> > Intended use:  Gateway to my in-house network, providing DNS
> > (internal only), DHCP, Mail server, and web server, backup storage
> > for some systems
> >
> > As a web server, the load is low, so large USB-connected disk works just fine.
> > As a backup device, I am using ZFS and it works well.
> > As a mail server, it's my personal mail primarily, likely running
> > sendmail or postfix.
> >
>       Two thoughts:
>
> 1) Have you considered moving the storage business to another host so
> not to have a single point of failure?
> 2) Would a $60 Raspberry Pi 4GB be a good replacement? 2 USB3 ports
> and 1 GB ether port. My Synology storage appliance thingie is much
> dumber than that and has not missed a beat in years.

There are some Chinese 64-bit ARM boards (Cubitruck, Banana Pi) that include
SATA interfaces.  There also various Allwinner A64 boards out there.  There
are some people in Bulgaria that have an ARM-based (Allwinner A64) "laptop"
kit, and sells the parts separately, so one can build a custom "box" with a
64-bit ARM that is not specificly a laptop.

Some of the Chinese 64-bit ARM boards have multiple network ports, mini-PCI,
built in Ethernet switches -- these are intended as the guts for a router
(some can also be used as WiFi access points). And some of these also have
SATA ports.

I don't know if *CentOS* is supported, but there are Debian, Ubuntu, and
Fedora images available for these.