[CentOS] Ailing MATE desktop

Thu May 14 06:18:03 UTC 2020
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 10:26 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage via CentOS
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 19:25 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage via CentOS
>> wrote:
>> > I'm about ready to run "dnf erase *mate*" and try re-installing
>> > MATE
>> > from scratch from the GNOME3 desktop. Is that possible without
>> > ripping
>> > the heart out of C8 by deleting other critical packages?
>>
>> I've attached a capture of "dnf erase *mate*" that shows the 104
>> packages that would be removed. It looks safe enough, but if there's
>> a better way to fix the problem I'd rather try that.
>
> Having gotten no responses, I'm about ready to plunge ahead and try
> removing MATE v1.22 with dnf, then do a fresh reinstall of all
> packages. However, I'm unsure about the safest way to proceed.
>
> If you look at the listing attached to my last message, you'll see
> three different groups of packages:
>
> Removing:
>   xxx
> Removing dependent packages:
>   xxx
> Removing unused dependencies:
>   xxx
>
> I don't understand the meaning of the last group of "unused
> dependencies".
>
> Is there a manual, more surgical way to remove packages that won't rip
> the overall CentOS 8.1 installation apart? For example, is there a way
> (perhaps a for loop) that deletes only the first two package groups?
> All of those are from the COPR repository. Removing them should cause
> no problems. But the third group (unused) includes several @AppStream,
> @epel, and even one @PowerTools package.
>
> Any dnf gurus please weigh in here.

I'm not sure why dnf is eager to remove more than what you want. I think
it's an option you can use to make it remove only what is required, and
unused packages are not touched.

However, in such cases, what I did is:
- check the yum/dnf log for which packages were installed by the time I
installed something with lot of dependencies. Make a list of all RPMs.
- use plain 'rpm -e --test <list>' and see what it does.
- if okay remove '--test' and remove the RPMs.

Regards,
Simon