[CentOS] ip6tables equivalent for NAT?

Tue May 26 22:02:23 UTC 2020
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Once upon a time, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> said:
> I figure that TCP is easy: Add a rule to the forward chain to allow
> SYN packets. There's already connection tracking to handle
> established connections. Does connection tracking handle UDP? If I
> allow all UDP from the LAN interface and one sends a DNS query from
> LAN to WAN, will the reply get back? I don't want to blanket
> authorize all UDP. ICMPv6, maybe, to allow traceroutes. Unless
> that's also handled by the tracking system.

Anything that's already working through IPv4 NAT should work just fine
through IPv6 with connection tracking.

IPv4 NAT is a stateful, connection tracking, packet mangling firewall.
With IPv6, you can just do the same thing without the packet mangling
misfeatures of NAT, with just connection tracking.

But don't go blocking ICMP - doing that in IPv4 already can break
things, and it can break even more things in IPv6.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>