[CentOS] Style Guide for ASCII Text Documents ?

Fri Nov 6 14:43:26 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 01:38, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone on this list recommend a good style guide for formatting
> technical
> documentation (HOWTOs related to CentOS servers) using ASCII text only ?
>
> Markdown and/or AsciiDOC are *not* an option, since these documents should
> be
> easily readable in a text console.

At this point, there isn't going to be a good style guide, because both of
those formats are considered by various groups to be easy to read on a text
console. [Same with Python RST and anything listed on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language ]. What I am
meaning is that a lot of formatting comes down to the eye of the beholder
and I have yet to find 12 people who agree on any layout as being pleasing.
[Which was why at one job we had 4 nroff filters for a set of reports back
even into the 2000's. Each one processed man  pages and other documents
into a format that meets various groups 'needs for proper documentation.'

In the end, I would say choose a layout language you need and work out a
filter for pandoc or nroff or <fill in what you chose> to process it into
what is aesthetically pleasing for your audience.

> Cheers from the sunny South of France,
>
> Niki
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Site : https://www.microlinux.fr
> Blog : https://blog.microlinux.fr
> Mail : info at microlinux.fr