[CentOS] Apologies - possible hardware problem?

Mon Nov 16 08:58:25 UTC 2020
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

On Sun, 2020-11-15 at 18:54 +0000, Jeffrey Layton wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I have a home workstation with an AMD CPU, Titan V GPU, 32 GB of memory,
> and a root SSD and /home on spinning disks.
>
> Right now it has xubuntu 18.04 on it and it would boot fine. I shut it down
> and restarted it to get an inventory before I put CentOS 8.2 on it. It
> won't boot now. It gets to the grub menu and freezes. I can't use the
> keyboard to select an item in the menu and I can't press enter to make it
> boot or press "e" to edit the boot line. It just sits there (seemingly
> forever). Here's what I've tred:
>
> 1. New keyboard/mouse - no change
>
> 2. Different monitor - no change
>
> 3. Booting from the CentOS 8.2 iso on a USB stick - no change
>
> 4. Replacing the TItan V card with a GT 1030 NV card - no change
>
> When booting from a USB stick, I get the BIOS splash screen and press "DEL"
> to get to the menu, but the menu never shows up. It just freezes.
>
> This one has me stumped. Not being able to boot from a USB stick is really
> puzzling. I've never seen that before. Possible bad MB?
>
> My apologies for using the list to help debug problems but since I'm moving
> to CentOS 8.2 I thought people might have some ideas.

It's not clear to me if the keyboard is working or not.  I'd try a PS/2
keyboard if it doesn't and/or unplug and replug the USB one when the
computer is frozen.  What happens when you boot without a keyboard?

Put a minimal amount of RAM in and go through all of the modules to see if
one or some of them are broken.

Replace the power supply.

Replace mainboard.