[CentOS] crontab query

Thu Nov 12 15:00:48 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 10:35:48AM -0600, Frank M. Ramaekers Jr. wrote:

> I need to schedule a process/program every hour on the hour between 9am and
> 4pm on the 2nd through the 9th of each month except on Saturday and Sunday.
> So, I tried this entry:
>
> 0 9-16 2-9 * 1-5 ./myprog.sh
>
> Unfortunately it runs outside of the 2nd through the 9th and still runs on
> Sat. through Sun.
>
> Is there a way to do this (outside the program itself)?

>From the crontab(5) man page:

       Note: The day of a command's execution can be specified in the  follow‐
       ing two fields — 'day of month', and 'day of week'.  If both fields are
       restricted (i.e., do not contain the "*" character), the  command  will
       be run when either field matches the current time.  For example,
       "30  4  1,15 * 5" would cause a command to be run at 4:30 am on the 1st
       and 15th of each month, plus every Friday.

So it looks like it is going to run either time.

A systemd timer might be able to be more exclusive, but parsing the
'systemd.time' man page makes my head hurt.