[CentOS] Intel RST RAID 1, partition tables and UUIDs

Wed Nov 18 15:33:23 UTC 2020

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 2:51 AM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 08:01 -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 17, 2020, at 1:07 AM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> If you don't require Centos, you could go for Fedora instead.  Fedora has btrfs
>>> as default file system now which has software raid built-in, and Fedora can have
>>> advantages over Centos.
>>>

>> There are advantages in a bleeding edge one can find useful. There is some bleeding too, plausible, so don’t be surprised.
>
> There is bleeding with Centos 7, too, and Centos 8 is probably no different.
> One can always be surprised.

And that is why my servers run FreeBSD. But when I switched from Fedora to CentOS (quite a while back), it made noticeable difference.

Valeri

> I'm not so much referring to bleeding but advantages like packages being available
> in Fedora that aren't available in Centos.  And not being able to upgrade a
> distribution when a new release comes out is a killer for Centos since there are
> things in Centos 8 that make me wonder why I shouldn't go for Fedora right away. At
> least I have the goodies when I do that.

And that is designed into the way distributions are maintained.

Some of them are like “sliding release”, like Fedora, Debian… And with those you often get surprises just upon routine update something breaks, as package is replaced with higher version which has different internals. But these are a charm to “upgrade” to next release. One can also mention FreeBSD and MacOS as being close to this, IMHO.

Others are “Enterprise” very long life. They are being patched by back porting fixes (very effort consuming), but they mostly “unchanged” packages internal wise, so during 10 years of such system’s life cycle, it is only rarely you may have things broken. But when it comes to life cycle end, you effectively have to build new system, as virtually neither of software packages can just step up from release 10years old to todays. You effectively do at once all you did for 10 years of "sliding release” system. Examples of this style are: RedHat Enterprise, CentOS (“binary replica” of the former). With all bad one can say about Microsoft, I would mention MS Windows system on which something you install when it release, will still work when the system maintenance ends 10 years later.

So, it is one’s choice, which style of system to install and maintain. I for one chose CentOS for number crunchers and workstations, which takes less of my time to maintain (but FreeBSD for servers, but that is different story). Your choice appears to be different, and we both are right in our choices based of our goals.

> But then, there are now things in Fedora that make we wonder if I should switch to
> arch.  Like how retarded is it to forcefully enable swapping to RAM by default.
> Either you have plenty RAM and swapping has no disadvantages, or you don't and
> swapping to RAM makes it only worse.  I can see that it might have an advantages
> for when you don't create a swap partition, but that's already a bad idea in the
> first place unless you have special requirements that are far from any default.
> I don't even dare wondering if it can get any more stupid, because unfortunately,
> there is no limit to stupidity and the only thing helps against it is more stupidity.
>
> And systemd ursurping the functionality of crond?  The last thing we need is
> systemd to become even more cryptic by that --- and how can I check if I am getting
> an email when a failed disk is detected, or when errors are being detected by
> raid-check?  I can do that with crond, but not with systemd.

Systemd has resembling portion of code in mainstream Linux kernel (I bet experts will correct me where I’m wrong). You can try to go with systemd-free Linux distro like devuan (fork of Debian that happened when Debian went systemd way). Or you can try one of BSD descendants, which being such are closer to original UNIX philosophy: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD (and variety of others standing quite close to these, or slightly more apart, your duckduckgo search will be as good as mine).

Valeri