[CentOS] System not logging

Wed Oct 28 15:09:20 UTC 2020
Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>

One of my boxes has stopped logging some of the things it's supposed
to.  I use rsyslog which used to send named and dhcpd entries to
separate log files.  Both named and dhcpd are working. I have shut down
the DHCPD server and run it in debug mode and the output is produced as
expected.

I have shut down rsyslog and run that in debug mode and it looks like
everything is running, but it's not receiving messages to log.

I tried

journalctl | grep -Ei 'dhcpd'|tail

and I see the log entries for the service starting up, but no entries
for DHCP transactoins happening.

My rsyslog also receives network messages from my firewall and they are
logging as expected.  This suggests to me that the problem is that the
log entries are either not being generated, or are not being allowed to
get to rsyslog.

Anyone go any ideas?

I've tried the usual first step, and briefly disabled selinux but that
made no difference

Gary