[CentOS] @Microknoppix

Mon Oct 26 17:50:28 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:35:33PM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Normally I run Centos 7,
> but I accidently booted a German Knoppix OS.
> I'm back to Centos 7,
> but now my LXterms all have hennebry at Microknoppix on top.
> WTF? How did that happen?
> How do I fix it?
> How do I make it not happen again?
> What other trouble should I be looking for?
>
> I opened a couple LXterms,
> looked at man pages and ran xrandr as root a few times.
> Also I ran shutdown a couple times.
> That's it.
> I'm rather annoyed at the result.
> I'm pretty sure Knoppix had to change
> something it should not even have known about.

Your Knoppix boot probably pushed a dynamic DNS update via DHCP to
whatever hands out local DNS names on your LAN and now your local IP
is resolving to that name.

You probably need to update your hostname if you want it to be
something else.  dhclient (the DHCP client in CentOS 7) can also send
dynamic dns updates when configured.  (Look in the man page for
dhclient.conf, I believe it is do-forward-updates.)