[CentOS] @Microknoppix

Mon Oct 26 18:05:31 UTC 2020
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 12:35:33 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> but now my LXterms all have hennebry at Microknoppix on top.
>> WTF? How did that happen?
>> How do I fix it?
>
> Wild guess: PROMPT_COMMAND was changed in  /etc/bashrc or ~/.bashrc

PROMPT_COMMAND is __vte_prompt_command .
I do not know what that does.
It's from /etc/bashrc .
After noticing that my prompt string had also changed:
hennebry at Microknoppix ~]$ echo $PS1
[\u@\h \W]\$
I tried
[hennebry at Microknoppix ~]$ hostname
Microknoppix.midcoip.net

My inference is that Knoppix was talking to
DNS and told it my name was Microknoppix.midcoip.net .
hostname thenameiwant
should do the trick.
Correct?

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards