[CentOS] Network Manager - rotate connection profile

Mon Oct 26 21:58:21 UTC 2020
James Szinger <jszinger at gmail.com>

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 15:25:37 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> I have an occasional need to switch a few computers from one Internet
> provider to a different one.  Both Internet providers feed into the
> same network, one at 192.168.0.1 and the other at 192.168.0.254.
>
> So to change from one provider to the other I run nmtui to change the
> gateway and dns server addresses, then deactivate and reactivate the
> connection and I'm done.
>
> It's just takes a few minutes, but I'm wondering if there's a way to
> automate this a bit so instead of having to run nmtui and change all
> of those numbers, then deactivate and reactivate the connection, I
> could just have each configuration saved as a text file or something,
> and just tell network manager "use this configuration now until
> further notice."

I would create two different NetworkManager connection profiles,
called eth0-isp1 and eth0-isp2.  You can use the GUI, TUI, or CLI for
this.  The something like
`nmcli connection down eth0-isp1 && nmcli connection up eth0-isp2`
should work.

Jim