[CentOS] ansible: which repo?

Sun Sep 6 13:36:01 UTC 2020
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 06.09.20 um 12:22 schrieb Fabian Arrotin:
> On 03/09/2020 20:51, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
>>
>> What would you recommend: ansible is in EPEL8 and ConfigSIG.
>> For the latter I do not see any sources in git.centos.org.
>> Where they come from?
>>
>> I wonder with which repository I should use (long term)?
>>
>> dnf not checking gpg signature sounds scary:
>>
>> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/v2.9.13/changelogs/CHANGELOG-v2.9.rst#security-fixes
>>

> Hi Leon,
>
> For ConfigManagement SIG, I use directly upstream src.rpm (available on
> https://releases.ansible.com/ansible/). and 2.9.13 was rebuilt directly
> on the day it was announced
> (https://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=30563 and
> https://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=30564) , quick sanity test
> and then signed/pushed out to mirror.centos.org (and so external mirrors
> too, as usual)
>
> With the upcoming changes for 2.10 and Ansible deciding to not provide
> pkgs anymore, I guess I'll rebase on good work done by Kevin (ansible
> pkg maintainer in Fedora/Epel) but probably trying to track various
> branches (like we do for 2.7/2.8/2.9 for people deciding to stay on a
> branch/version as long as it's supported upstream)
>
> See blog post about the switch:
> https://anonbadger.wordpress.com/2020/08/25/why-upstream-ansible-stopped-shipping-rpms/

Hi Fabian, thanks for the input.

Yeah, Kevin catched up and epel-testing has the current version now.

I was not aware of the mentioned ansible plans but until its related for
the common admin the 2.9-branch has still maintenance support [*].
But this splitting makes packaging harder now.

Anyway, the big picture is clearer now. Thanks.

--
Leon

[*]
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/reference_appendices/release_and_maintenance.html