[CentOS] Server entering Emergency Shell, but continues fine after pressing Enter

Sat Sep 12 15:07:51 UTC 2020
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 11 Sep 2020 17:23:00, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> Run "systemctl daemon-reload && echo success" and verify that it
>> reports success, and not errors.
>>
>> Check the output of "systemctl status initrd-cleanup" too.
>
> Those have always reported success (even before I removed the OnFailure
> option):
>

> [~] sudo systemctl daemon-reload && echo success
> success
> [~] sudo systemctl status initrd-cleanup
> ● initrd-cleanup.service - Cleaning Up and Shutting Down Daemons
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/initrd-cleanup.service; static;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
> Sep 11 23:34:01 durian systemd[1]: Starting Cleaning Up and Shutting Down
> Daemons...
> Sep 11 23:34:01 durian systemd[1]: Stopped Cleaning Up and Shutting Down
> Daemons.

Hi,

I'm wondering what the proper solution is in this case. One thing I
learned in the past and can also be learned from the list archives is that
a lot of issues exist with systemd but almost never one really finds a
good solution to fix the problem.

In most cases ugly hacks and workarounds are used but no real fix is
available. IMHO it's in no way better than old days SysVinit hacking :-)

Regards,
Simon