[CentOS] how to restore deleted directory/files

Wed Sep 16 12:36:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:21:08PM +0800, qw wrote:
> I remove one directory by running rm -fr ./some-dir. How to restore
> the directory and its files in the directory?

If you don't have backups, then you're pretty much out of luck.  Don't
forget to back up any data that is important, and test your backups
regularly!

Depending on the filesystem, there might be ways to recover it, but
the first thing you need to do is stop using the disk the files were
on.  Power it off.  There are some tools that you can use to recover
it, but it's not 100% effective.

If it's very important and you are willing to spend money, there are
data recovery services that might be able to extract the data.