[CentOS] How to find out what's eating the bandwidth

Wed Apr 14 07:17:39 UTC 2021
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

On 3/28/21 7:36 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:14:16 -0400
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> Is this a home network or a business one?
>
> It's a really basic setup "routers from Staples" (dlink and tplink brands I think) plugged into the ISP's modems.
>
>> You're right that you generally can't see everything from just any computer
>> on a network, at least if it's switched. You need to watch from your
>> gateway.
>
> Then I'm outta luck for doing this sort of thing since the gateways are the tplink and dlink routers.  I thought that might be the case.
>
> Thanks for the answers, guys!  It isn't what I wanted to hear,  but now I know more about this than I did before.

If you want to keep your tplink and dlink devices, you might be able to
get a managed switch for a few bucks via craigslist or ebay and plug the
devices on the network into that.  For the purpose, an (old) 10/100Mbit
should do, though it's certainly better to get a 1GB (or faster) one if
you can find one for a good price.

Just keep in mind that you may need to configure the switch before you
can use it, which can involve using a serial cable with some models.
You'd probably want one you don't need that cable for.

Such a switch will usually show you how much bandwidth is going over
each port and makes this an easy task.