[CentOS] almalinux?

Wed Apr 7 14:10:43 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 4/5/21 1:42 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 4/5/21 12:55 PM, Ruslanas Gžibovskis wrote:
>> Also maintained by business unit, which might impact later changes
>> when you
>> tight your prod to it.
>
> A major part of the announcement videocast was about the formation of
> the 501c6 non-profit foundation that will back the distro. While it does
> indeed appear that everyone *currently* working on it works for
> CloudLinux it was also clear that their longer-term intention is to have
> the Alma Foundation be completely independent.
>
> Yeah, I know, I shouldn't be promoting the "other team," but I don't see
> them that way, and I would not want this list to be a source of any
> misinformation about them.

Rich .. I agree .. I don't see Igor and company as the other team either.

I wished the almalinux team well on their launch day on reddit.  This is
because I know many of the people involved in CloudLinux and I have met
them plenty of times at cPanel conferences and other places.  I trust
Igor and his team.

I personally feel that CentOS Stream is a great distro and once you guys
actually see it in practice with all the engineering effort and
community involvement working as envisioned, you will like it and it
will meet your needs.

In my post I said as much about CentOS Stream .. but also IF you still
want to do a downstream and not slightly upstream build of EL source
code, I definitely would look at AlmaLinux.

Here is a link to my post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlmaLinux/comments/mgic42/congrats_on_almalinux_release/

My ultimate goal is to make CentOS Stream the most used community
distribution in the world .. but, in doing that there is no need to be
negative toward AlmaLinux.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes