[CentOS] rsync over ssh stalls after completing the job

Tue Apr 13 19:37:47 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Is there any chance that your shell is configured to emit anything to
> stderr or stdout when you logout of jeff? It's fairly rare, but I've
> seen logout messages mess up rsync before.

I don't think so.  The only change from the default .bashrc on both machines is the addition of "unset command_not_found_handle", and in .bash_profile on mutt I have xmodmap -e "keycode 135 = 0x0000", which hasn't changed since 2016 according to the timestamp on the file.  Other than that, the .bash* files are just the defaults.  sshd_config has nothing other than the default settings for logout messages, and in any event none of these things have changed since last week and it did work then.

I wonder if it's something to do with the last Centos 8 update.  There was a fair amount of stuff updated including the kernel.  I just rebooted both machines with the previous kernel and nothing changed, so that doesn't appear to be it either.