[CentOS] rsync over ssh stalls after completing the job

Tue Apr 13 19:09:42 UTC 2021
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021, Frank Cox wrote:

> Here's a weird one.
>
> I have two Centos 8 machines that use rsync-over-ssh to back up files between each other.  (Each machine acts as a backup machine for the other one.)
>
> There's are nightly cronjobs that do the backing up, the commands look like this:
>
> rsync -av --delete /home/mydirectory jeff:/home/mydirectorybackup
>
> That command works fine when it's run through the cronjob.
>
> When I try to run a rsync command between mutt and jeff from the
> commandline, that's where the problem starts.  It worked a few days
> ago but now when I log into jeff and do a rsync to or from mutt it
> works fine.  When I log into mutt and do a rsync to or from jeff it
> works and does the job, but then it seems to stall afterward and I
> have to hit ctrl-c to get my cursor back.

Is there any chance that your shell is configured to emit anything to
stderr or stdout when you logout of jeff? It's fairly rare, but I've
seen logout messages mess up rsync before.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45.38° N, 122.59° W