[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Wed Apr 28 13:36:19 UTC 2021
Christopher Wensink <cwensink at five-star-plastics.com>

Speaking of financing, it's common for non-profits such as churches and
other organizations to have an annual budget review that is put together
to lay out the budget, and expenses to see how each cost is broken down.

Is there an equivalent budget page that annual review of expenses for
CentOS / Stream?

If there isn't then perhaps it would be beneficial to have such a page,
something that lists out the line by line expenses, so that everyone is
aware of how expensive that maintaining a distro truly is.

Once those numbers are known then perhaps a fundraising campaign with a
visual like a thermometer type of graphic on the right side of the page
saying our budget each year is 100k (or whatever it is, I'm making up a
number) and our fundraising so far is 12k for the year, etc.

Thoughts?

Chris

On 4/28/2021 8:28 AM, R C wrote:
> you think you can fund something like that with a bake sale or so?,
> maintaining a separate distro for the same thing is VERY expensive
>
> On 4/28/21 2:08 AM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
>> On 28/4/2021 10:35 π.μ., Nikolaos Milas wrote:
>>
>>> All that, in turn, are very much dependent on community involvement
>>> and project management & financing.
>>
>> By the way, I think that CentOS, before it was "absorbed" by Redhat,
>> could/might have addressed the community for fund raising, rather
>> than abandoning the project to RH, which, as others have mentioned,
>> was an unmistakable sign of upcoming CentOS EOL as we had come to
>> know it.
>>
>> If the financing need was communicated correctly, I am very confident
>> that financing would have been secured, e.g. by using a public fund
>> raising platform, due to CentOS huge install base and community.
>>
>> Any of those current (or future) projects that might prove successful
>> enough to become CentOS successor (as a RHEL binary twin, and not as
>> Stream), should use the community financing model, in order to avoid
>> CentOS fate.
>>
>> My 0.01$ :)
>>
>> Nick

Christopher Wensink