[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Fri Apr 30 21:04:43 UTC 2021
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2021-04-30 21:16 Gordon Messmer ha scritto:
> Critics of Stream often argue that CentOS users are losing support
> that CentOS never had to begin with.  Their argument implies that
> CentOS has aspects of RHEL that it does not.  They are not correct.

 From here [1]:
"Since March 2004, CentOS Linux has been a community-supported
distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by Red
Hat. As such, CentOS Linux aims to be functionally compatible with RHEL.
We mainly change packages to remove upstream vendor branding and
artwork. CentOS Linux is no-cost and free to redistribute."

Does it means that CentOS was appropriate on all scenario? No. Was
CentOS making hard promises about their support or existence? No. So it
is *fine* for classical CentOS to disappear if the developer / owner
want that. Long live Stream!

But stating that Stream is functionally equivalent to CentOS is not
correct. Fact is that the CentOS team did a wonderful work at repackage
RHEL, so 99.9% of times it just worked. And it worked for all the time
the corresponding RHEL was supported (7 or 10 years). In return, RedHat
(and so CentOS) got much testing and bug-report (I alone reported my
fair share of bugs, some with hours/days spent try to reliably reproduce
and tracking down them).

Now, with a moving kernel, you simply can't provide this level of
confidence. DKMS is not a silver bullet. See here [2] for an example.
Rebooting your kernel and finding you can't access your storage is a
quite a significant problem, no? And when I migrated a test machine to
Stream some months ago, even something as basic as dnf had its issues.
While I hope that now the situation is better, I hardly can see Stream
equivalent to old CentOS.

Regards.

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20200721184556/https://www.centos.org/about/