[CentOS] Minimising a CentOS installation

Sat Aug 21 04:10:41 UTC 2021
James Szinger <jszinger at gmail.com>

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 11:17:11 -0400
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 10:25, Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > After doing a minimal CentOS 8.4 installation, I found the following
> > packages to be useful for a simple server, so I removed them:
> >
> > cronie-anacron (replaced with cronie-noanacron)
> > alsa-firmware
> > ivtv-firmware
> > iwl*-firmware
> > sssd-common (along with all packages that depended on it)
> >
> > What other things do folk usually remove to make their installation
> > smaller?
>
> Usually it breaks down at this point because everyone has different
> things they want for their minimal install. Getting 3 people to agree
> on a minimal working set seems to be harder than doing a three body
> physics problem :).

Exactly.  To me a minimal install has just enough to run sshd, an
editor*, and yum.  It’s not very useful, so then I add diagnostics,
logging and management software, and it is no longer minimal.

My typical approach is to run `package-cleanup --leaves --all` or `yum
leaves` (might need software not on CentOS 8) and justify everything
that is there.  I have about 85 leaf packages on a CentOS 7 web
server, so a minimal package set should be smaller.  Experiment with a
disposable VM so it is easy to recover from mistakes.

Jim

* vi, or emacs, or ...