[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 11 18:14:16 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 12:31, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

> > Le 11/02/2021 à 17:08, Simon Matter a écrit :
> >> But, I'm a bit shocked to find EPEL 8 in such a bad shape of brokenness
> >> and incompleteness
> >
> > I've come to the same conclusion.
> >
> > For the past couple years, my solution has been to use RHEL clones
> (CentOS
> > and
> > Oracle Linux) on servers only (multi-user.target).
> >
> > I've moved all my graphical installations (workstation, laptops, desktop
> > clients) to OpenSUSE Leap + KDE.
>
> In our situation it's not so easy to say server or client. We're running
> remote desktops over nx-libs, so, a server is also a client at the same
> time.
>
> I always new EPEL is not perfect but it was usable to some degree and
> that's why Red Hat told their customers about it and how to use it. But
> the current state of EPEL is sad.

EPEL is a volunteer driven repository and not many volunteers have been
available for EL8. Many of the past volunteers have retired or been
promoted out of positions they actually have time to do the work anymore.
Asking for replacements is not easy because most people who are interested
in EPEL just want the packages built. They have no want or clue to do the
work themselves and want someone else to do the work for them. This leads
to a lot of people expecting packages without anyone doing the work.

That rant aside, if people are interested in helping out, there is a weekly
EPEL IRC SIG meeting (irc.freenode.net #fedora-meeting 22:00 UTC Friday).
THere is the #epel mailing list and there are several people who are trying
to get volunteers to work on packages and such.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.