[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Sat Feb 27 15:28:43 UTC 2021
James Szinger <jszinger at gmail.com>

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:40:06 -0600
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/modularity/using-modules/

I find the modularity end-user documentation to be woefully
inadequate, especially for developers.

Here are several basic to advanced question that I can’t see answers
for on that page.  All of this is from the perspective of a user of
Fedora or EL, installing and building software for my own use.  That
page seems aimed at those developing Fedora and using the Fedora build
system.

What modules are available, what are they for, and what’s in them?

What streams are available, what are they for, and what’s in them?
(https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/modularity/using-modules-switching-streams/
says “This page needs to be extended.”)

What profiles are available, what are they for, and what’s in them?

`yum module info` seems to be part of the answer, but it is not in
that doc.

I have an RPM installed.  Which module and stream is it from?  Do
other modules also provide it?  The same version or different?

What is the modularity equivalent of `yum provides`?

How do I examine the dependecies between modules?

I am trying to build an RPM that BuildRequires something from a
module.  How do I get mock to do this?  What if some of the
BuildRequires are private or hidden?

I am trying to patch and rebuild an RPM from a module.  How do I do
this?  How do I access the private BuildRequires?

I am trying to build an RPM that Requires something from a module.
How do I make yum automatically install the correct dependency?

I want to provide modules in my private repository.  How do I set this
up for building and distribution?

How do I install perl-DBD-Pg for perl:5.30 and postgresql:12?  If I
try it on CentOS 8

    yum module enable perl:5.30 postgresql:12
    yum module install perl-DBD-Pg

I get some conflicts and the docs do not explain how to resolve them.

Jim