[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Sat Feb 27 18:10:55 UTC 2021
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 27.02.21 um 16:28 schrieb James Szinger:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:40:06 -0600
> Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/modularity/using-modules/
>
> I find the modularity end-user documentation to be woefully
> inadequate, especially for developers.

Yep!

> Here are several basic to advanced question that I can’t see answers
> for on that page.  All of this is from the perspective of a user of
> Fedora or EL, installing and building software for my own use.  That
> page seems aimed at those developing Fedora and using the Fedora build
> system.
>
> What modules are available, what are they for, and what’s in them?
>
> What streams are available, what are they for, and what’s in them?
> (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/modularity/using-modules-switching-streams/
> says “This page needs to be extended.”)
>
> What profiles are available, what are they for, and what’s in them?
>
> `yum module info` seems to be part of the answer, but it is not in
> that doc.

Just some hints:

Try to read the modulemd repodata. It gives some insights :

$ curl -q
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/AppStream/x86_64/os/repodata/1e7ee9bec2bcd56d5bff6e6ead9b71a41a244e6ffd6a88f6477a8f2f097f8f1b-modules.yaml.gz
| gunzip | less

> I have an RPM installed.  Which module and stream is it from?  Do
> other modules also provide it?  The same version or different?
>
> What is the modularity equivalent of `yum provides`?

dnf module provides

> How do I examine the dependecies between modules?
>
> I am trying to build an RPM that BuildRequires something from a
> module.  How do I get mock to do this?  What if some of the
> BuildRequires are private or hidden?

config_opts['module_enable'] = ['python27:2.7']

> I am trying to patch and rebuild an RPM from a module.  How do I do
> this?  How do I access the private BuildRequires?

Briefly: Modules are defined logically (modulemd). You need to build
a repo with modules defined that provide the same stream. This repo
overrides the default rpms then via higher NVRA (e.g. EPOCH).

--
Leon