[CentOS] not a Centos topic, but since many had concerns ......

Tue Feb 2 23:04:05 UTC 2021
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 03:49:35PM -0700, R C wrote:
> This is what I read today, might have been around longer though, don't know.
>

> "New Year, new Red Hat Enterprise Linux programs: Easier ways to
> access RHEL"
>
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-new-red-hat-enterprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel

It came out a few weeks ago but the program is live as of yesterday.

In short:

1. Register at https://developers.redhat.com/register

2. You'll now see a developer subscription allowing up to 16 systems listed
   at https://access.redhat.com/management/subscriptions

3. Download and install from https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/download

4. sudo subscription-manager register --username $USERNAME
   (where $USERNAME is the email address you registered with)

and there you go.

It says "Developer Subscription" but the new terms allow each individual to
have up to 16 systems for production use. See the (single page) terms here:

https://www.redhat.com/wapps/tnc/viewterms/72ce03fd-1564-41f3-9707-a09747625585?extIdCarryOver=true&sc_cid=701f2000001Css0AAC

It may also be of interest to note something which I hadn't realized before:
this subscription includes the "EUS" offering which provides security
updates to select minor releases (so you can "pin" to that minor release),
which is something CentOS never did.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>