[CentOS] not a Centos topic, but since many had concerns ......

Tue Feb 2 23:26:57 UTC 2021
R C <cjvijf at gmail.com>

On 2/2/21 4:21 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 2/2/21 5:10 PM, R C wrote:

>>> It came out a few weeks ago but the program is live as of yesterday.
>>>
>>> In short:
>>>
>>> 1. Register at https://developers.redhat.com/register
>>>
>>> 2. You'll now see a developer subscription allowing up to 16 systems
>>> listed
>>>     at https://access.redhat.com/management/subscriptions
>>>
>>> 3. Download and install from
>>> https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/download
>>>
>>> 4. sudo subscription-manager register --username $USERNAME
>>>     (where $USERNAME is the email address you registered with)
>>>
>>> and there you go.
>>>
>>> It says "Developer Subscription" but the new terms allow each
>>> individual to
>>> have up to 16 systems for production use. See the (single page)
>>> terms here:
>>
>> I would not use it for production, or commercial purposes, just so I
>> have the same at home (or close) as at work. I wonder, does that mean
>> you can have  up to 16 licensed servers/workstations running at a
>> time? Or over time, when you discard equipment, and need to install
>> another machine/desktop, whatever by the time you're at 17 start paying?
>>

> When I was thinking similar situation over - with different kind of
> proprietary product free up to some number... my sentiment ended up
> being: OK, I plan all my future well, and fit all into that restricted
> number, let's say 16. But what if at some point they change their mind
> and this number suddenly becomes 12. I definitely can not plan what in
> the future they will do. And specifically recent events showed that
> they do change things.
>
> And the I went free open source route. And never regretted.
>
> But it is everybody's individual decision, and those who make it will
> have only themselves to blame if ever get into trouble as the result.
>
> Incidentally, I for one blame myself that I have to change my routine
> from CentOS [to Debian]. Not that that is much of a hassle. This is
> not the first migration in my life, and hopefully not the last one ;-)
> - meaning long life for myself, not short life for Debian.
>
> Valeri

well, my point is not that I don't know what alternative to use, there
is enough, I couldn't care less to use Ubuntu or something. (I actually
have an Ubuntu machine as well as a Debian machine, for two very
specific  applications.)

The reason why I have some Centos stuff is because it is very close to
Redhat, and where I work we use A LOT of redhat
machines/servers/clusters, so it is just convenience. That is why I used
Centos, and if this mechanism/program is available, well, I'll use that.