[CentOS] Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

Fri Feb 5 18:46:34 UTC 2021
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 05.02.21 um 18:22 schrieb Simon Matter:

>>> I found your post highly interesting, even though I chose a different
>>> path:
>>>
>>> https://blog.microlinux.fr/migration-centos-oracle-linux-cas-pratique/
>>>

>> Hi Niki, as you did that move. I have a question: Comparing C8 with OL8
>> (rpmlist) I noticed that a lot of OL8 packages have a different NVR
>> especially the "Release" is bumped up (e.g .0.1 added). I wonder how
>> much the OL8 distro diverges from upstream. It seems that such altered
>> packages are passing the rebranding package count. What's your impression?
>
> I'm not Niki but I try to answer anyway :)
>
> I did the move and also looked at several source RPMs. One thing to note
> is that by default, you'll end up with packages replaced by updated
> packages from UEK repository. I've removed the UEK repo and replaced all
> packages with the corresponding base packages. That brings you very close
> to what you have with RHEL/CentOS. Additionally what I found in the source
> RPMs is that Oracle decided to add some patches/changes fixings issues
> tracked in Oracle tracking system.
>
> I don't think these changes are a problem because they mostly fix things
> which maybe RedHat voted not to fix. At least that's my impression.

Ok, thanks. This lead me to do following:

Download all OL8 rpms and

$ find . |grep rpm$ | xargs -n1 rpm -q --changelog |grep Orabug |wc -l
3852

quite a lot that got fixed?! Good to known.

--

Leon