[CentOS] Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

Sat Feb 6 01:10:52 UTC 2021
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> I did the move and also looked at several source RPMs. One thing to note
> is that by default, you'll end up with packages replaced by updated
> packages from UEK repository. I've removed the UEK repo and replaced all
> packages with the corresponding base packages. That brings you very close
> to what you have with RHEL/CentOS. Additionally what I found in the source
> RPMs is that Oracle decided to add some patches/changes fixings issues
> tracked in Oracle tracking system.
>
> I don't think these changes are a problem because they mostly fix things
> which maybe RedHat voted not to fix. At least that's my impression.

If you mean that Oracle has patched the base packages, then surely it
is then no longer a RHEL clone. The whole point of CentOS was that it
was a RHEL clone, warts and all.  In that context it doesn't matter how
close you get to RHEL, it still isn't the same.

P.